It’s been a busy month for 3rdCB since our last newsletter, with our awesome band night at The Den, Scouts away camping, DofE group completing expeditions, lots of sailing and much more. In this newsletter:
- Open Day
- Summer Camp
- Duke of Edinburgh’s Award Success
- Leigh Regatta
- Water Activities at The Den
- Upcoming activities and dates for your diary
Den Open Day
Unfortunately due to a clash of dates for many of the leader team, our planned open day at The Den next Saturday won’t be going ahead. We’ll look to reschedule later in the year if possible.
Summer camp is less than 4 weeks away, and the leader team have been busy planning out all the activities and logistics of taking 130 young people away for the week.
Signups are now closed so we can finalise the arrangements, if you’ve indicated that your child is going but haven’t yet paid the deposit please can you log in to the Parent Portal and do so. Requests for balance payments will be coming out shortly and we ask these are paid by 15 Jul.
Summer Camp Hoodies
Final call also for our exclusive summer camp hoodies, if you’ve not ordered yet. They’re £15 each. Order online here by Tuesday night.
DofE Expedition Success
Massive congratulations to our Bronze Duke of Edinburgh’s Award Expedition teams who have passed their assessed expedition this weekend. The assessor couldn’t have been more impressed with them, sighting their teamwork as one of the best he’s seen.
Well done also to the Silver Exped team on completing their practice expedition, and learning lots along the way.
Your leader team are very proud and thank you for all your effort.
We have a number of items of lost property in The Den from various camps weekend activities and section nights. It’s all in the lobby if parents want to have a look through and collect any missing items.
Anything not reclaimed by the end of this term will be disposed of.
Leigh Regatta – Sun 11 Sept 2022
Leigh Regatta is just around the corner, a day of entertainment, games, live music, competitions, side shows, and water events.
Each year the event raises money for a nominated charity as well as for the two Sea Scout Groups based in Old Leigh, and is one of our biggest fundraising events of the year.
All Scouts & Explorers are asked to help on stalls, raise money and set up/pack up on the day. We also need support from parents and families on stalls, in the tea tent, assistance with marshalling, baking cakes, and donations of prizes for our stalls, all of which raise funds for activities at 3rdCB.
So please save the date. We’ll be in touch with more details nearer the time.
Water Activities at The Den
We’re on the water most weekends during the summer, with courses and open boating sessions for all Scouts and Explorers. The full calendar is available at: 3rdCB.org.uk/events/boating/
Watch the Facebook group for any last minute changes based on weather and instructor availability.
We’ve got a variety of other camps and activities planned this year already, so make a note in your calendars now. There are also camps and activities organised by the individual sections that your leaders will tell you about separately. Full details of all these events will be sent out nearer the time as we finalise the plans:
- 23-30 July: Summer Camp – Our green-field Group summer camp is the highlight of the Scouting year. Details & invites have been sent via the Parent Portal. Beavers: 23-25 July; Cubs: 23-28 July; Scouts & Explorers: 23-30 July.
- 11 September: Leigh Regatta – One of the Group’s major fundraising events of the year, all Scouts are expected to help with stalls and activities.
- 21 September: Group AGM – A requirement of a charitable status, the AGM allows members of the Group Council (that’s all parents, leaders, Active Support members and other supporters of the Group) to receive formal reports on our activities and accounts for the past year. 2015 start at The Den.
- 29 October: Battle of Trafalgar Dinner – Black tie social and fundraising dinner on board HQS Wilton to celebrate the 217th anniversary of Nelson’s great victory. Details to follow.
- 1-8 April 2023: Derbyshire – Scouts’ Easter Hillwalking & Activities trip to Castleton in the Peak District.
As always, don’t forget to keep an eye on our Members’ Facebook Group for updates on activities, photos and news about what we’re getting up to.
Activities this term:
More photos of our adventures on our Instagram: @3rdcb