Welcome back after the festive break. We hope you all had an enjoyable Christmas and New Year and are excited to get back into Scouting at 3rdCB.
Of course the dreaded COVID continues to constrain many parts of our lives, but we’re working hard to minimise its impact on our activities, as we updated in December, we ask young people please not to come to The Den if they’re feeling unwell, and remind Scouts, Explorers and adults that they need to bring/wear face masks to meetings inside.
In this newsletter:
- Spring Membership Fees and Gift Aid
- Presentation Evening
- Boat Sponsorship Opportunity
- Welcoming a new Vice President
- Upcoming activities and dates for your diary
Spring Term Membership Fees
This term’s membership fees are due on 1 February. If you’ve not set up automatic payments you can pay through Online Scout Manager.
If you’re a UK tax payer, please also consider signing up for Gift Aid. It costs you absolutely nothing, but we can claim an extra 25p in every pound collected in membership fees, which make a huge difference to the activities and facilities we can offer. You can opt in for gift aid in OSM (link on the left hand menu), and it only takes about 5 seconds
Sat 26 March. 1830 for 1900.
Our annual presentation evening is our chance to celebrate the achievements of our youth members over the past year, present awards, and show you what we’ve been up to in the past 12 months.
This year’s event will be at Leigh Road Baptist Church, the doors are open from 1830 for a 1900 start. All members of the Group and their parents/family are invited to attend (full uniform for members please).
After the presentations there will be a selection of refreshments, and you’ll have the chance to look at the photos of the years activiteis to see what we’ve been up to, as well as to meet the leader team & other parents.
We didn’t hold the ceremony in 2021, if you have a trophy at home from 2020 please can you return it to your leaders to be awarded to this year’s winners.
Sponsor a Boat
The new sailing season is almost upon us, and we’re looking to renew our fleet of single handed sailing boats. We want to buy 6 new RS Zests to replace the Topazes that have served us so well for the past 18 years, to continue offering top quality sailing courses and activities afloat to the Scouts and Explorers.
These new dinghies cost around £3,500 each and we are looking for companies or individuals to sponsor funding for them. Sponsorship will be £1,500 per boat for 5 years, and we will display your company’s logo or name on the sail for all to see.
If you are interested in sponsoring a boat and supporting young people getting out on the water to learn new skills for life, please contact Chris Grover, our Chief Instructor, at email@example.com.
New Vice President for 3rdCB
We’re delighted to welcome John Lamb to the 3rdCB family as one of our Vice Presidents.
John has been a long time friend and supporter of 3rdCB, particularly so during his tenure as the Mayor of Southend. We look forward to see John and his wife Pat at Group events in the future.
We’ve got a variety of other camps and activies planned this year already, so make a note in your calendars now. There are also camps and activities organised by the individual sections that your leaders will tell you about seperately. Full details of all these events will be sent out nearer the time as we finalise the plans:
- 26 March: Presentation Evening – Annual event to demonstrate what we’ve done during the past year and plans for the future, and present awards to our youth members and adults to honour their achievements. Doors open 1830 for 1900 start, at Leigh Road Baptist Church. All families welcome.
- Sat 21 May: Band Night – Social evening at The Den for families and friends with entertainment by the fabulous Big Yellow Suitcase.
- 2 July: Group Open Day – Social day at The Den for families and friends to see what we do, try sailing one of our boats and enjoy a BBQ.
- 23-30 July: Summer Camps – Our green-field summer camps for all sections are the highlight of the Scouting year.
- Beavers: 23-25 July
- Cubs: 23-28 July
- Scouts: 23-30 July
- Explorers: 23-30 July
- 11 September: Leigh Regatta – One of the Group’s major fundraising events of the year, all Scouts are expected to help with stalls and activities.
The sailing season will be starting again at Easter, and the boating team are putting together an exciting programme of courses and activities on the water. More details will be published nearer the time.
As always, don’t forget to keep an eye on our Members’ Facebook Group for updates on activities, photos and news about what we’re getting up to.
More photos of our adventures on our Instagram: @3rdcb