We are so pleased to announce we have been awarded £10,000 of National Lottery funding through Sport England to purchase a new safety boat, helping us to expand the opportunities we can offer to the young people of Leigh-on-Sea, and particularly supporting the This Girl Can campaign. Thanks to everyone who plays National Lottery games for your support, and all those who support our fundraising events!
This money, in addition to funding from the Co-Op Community Fund and our own fundraising events such as HARP24 & Quiz nights gives us a good budget to add to our safety boat fleet. This in turn will help us in our wider project to increase the activities we can offer by enabling a larger fleet afloat, getting more young people out on the water learning skills for life through maritime training, and increasing our capacity for RYA courses.
The leader and instructor teams are now researching the best options for us, with the intention of having the new boat ready for the start of the next sailing season.
This Girl Can
In addition to expanding our activities in general, one specific part of the Sport England project is to support the This Girl Can campaign, encouraging sport amongst women and girls and reducing the disparity between male and female participation in activities on the water.
We will work to achieve by a number of means, including:
- Offering girls only sailing sessions (an initiative used by the RYA) to allow them to have a relaxed, comfortable environment where they can learn and develop.
- Work to offer girls only RYA courses with female instructors (where possible) to allow progression in a new skill, in an environment where they feel they can do. We aim to develop leadership skills through these courses too, allowing as many individuals as possible to follow the RYA Instructor pathway thereby increasing the proportion of females on our Instructor team.
- Ensure that we have enough wetsuits, buoyancy aids etc in appropriate sizes to ensure that there are no socio-economic barriers to the girls.
- Offer powerboat taster sessions and courses to show that there are many different ways to get involved in physical activity; from being the participant to assisting on the water, and developing the skills to go into coaching, as all of these roles within physical activity can bring the positive benefits such as improved mental and social well-being and making friends.
We’re immensely grateful to the National Lottery and Sport England for their support, as well as to the Co-Op Community Fund for their backing in this and our previous project to buy new sailing dinghies, and of course to our own fundraising team for all their huge efforts in supporting 3rdCB.
How else can you support us:
You can support 3rdCB and our fundraising efforts in more ways, such as:
- Joining in our family fundraising events (currently on hold due to COVID-19)
- Joining the Co-Op Community and registering us as your preferred charity (£1,700 so far this year)
- Doing your online shopping with Amazon Smile, noting us as your preferred charity
- Using Easy Fundraising for your wider online shopping (we’ve raised £1,500 so far)