Throughout the year the Group runs a variety of sailing and rowing courses based on national governing body standards and taught by qualified instructors. Below is the Group’s Water Activity Programme for this year, which gives details of the planned boating sessions & courses for the year, and information about how to book a place on a course.
Boating activities, as with all outdoor activities, are weather dependant and subject to leader availability – please keep an eye on the Group Facebook page where we will post updates on activities. Please check this before travelling down to the Den, especially if the weather is bad.
These are sessions for any member of the Group to go on the water rowing, sailing or swimming. Sessions are always supervised by a suitable leader, and no experience is necessary. There is no charge for participating in general boating, just ensure you are down in time for the briefing as outlined on the programme, and bring suitable clothing as outlined below.
Sailing courses can be booked via the course booking page on the Group’s website (see link and instructions below). The courses are run to the RYA syllabus by our team of volunteer instructors, enabling you to get a nationally recognised RYA certificate, RYA logbook and Scout activity badge. There is a small charge to cover the cost of certificates, books and safety boat fuel.
There is a lot of demand for these courses, so we only allow you to complete one course per year. You will also need to show evidence of practice (eg general boating sessions at The Den or your own yacht club, recorded in your logbook) before we will allow you to progress onto a more advanced level course. If all the courses fill up, we will endeavour to schedule some more courses later in the year.
Rowing courses are led by the Group’s British Rowing Association Instructor, who will send out an e-mail with details of these courses in due course.
How to book a place on a course
- Go to the course booking page at: www.3rdCB.org.uk/courses/
- Select the course you would like to do from the list, and check the dates.
- If a space is still available on that course, click the “Select” next to on the Pay on the day ticket (bottom of the right hand column), the press “Proceed”.
- If you want to add a brother or sister to the same course, you can do this by booking 2 spaces on the course. If in doubt or you have trouble then just email us at Boating@3rdCB.org.uk.
- Check the dates are correct, and click on “Book now”, then enter the required contact details, or put your name on the waiting list.
- After you complete the booking an e-mail will be sent to you. You must click on the link in the e-mail within 1 hour to confirm your booking, otherwise it will be released for someone else to book.
- Your booking will be confirmed. Put the dates in your diary! You will receive a pre-course information letter prior to your course, confirming details and what you need to bring. Payment due by cash/cheque on the first day of the course.
What to bring
For all activities afloat you will need to bring suitably warm clothing and footwear, which you don’t mind getting wet. Jeans and wellies are not appropriate. The Den has a selection of waterproofs, wetsuits and buoyancy aids available for your use. You will need swimwear to put on under a wetsuit, and a towel to dry off with.
If it’s sunny make sure you wear sun cream and a hat. You may also want to bring a packed lunch and drink or money for chips.
If you have any questions on the Group’s water activities or courses, or issues using the course booking page, then please do not hesitate to contact us at Boating@3rdCB.org.uk